These vegan burrito bowls are made with spicy tofu and black beans over a bed or rice with salsa and creamy guacamole! A delicious and easy dinner that’s perfect for meal prep!
I love my traditional burritos — you know, the tortilla-wrapped kind, like black bean burritos or vegan seven layer burritos. But I’ve got to say, there’s just something about a meal in a bowl. Digging into a big bowl of delicious food with sauces and toppings…bowls are fun to make and super comforting to eat.
What You’ll Need
- Chili powder
- Black beans
- Tomato sauce
- Adobo sauce (from a can of chipotle chile peppers)
- Hot sauce
- Cooked rice
- Fresh cilantro and/or scallions
How to Make Vegan Burrito Bowls
Press and dice your tofu before getting started.
Now heat up some oil in a large nonstick skillet. Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the tofu cubes in an even layer. Let them cook for a few minutes, until they begin to brown, then give them a flip and let them cook a few minutes more, to brown on their other sides.
Take the tofu out of the skillet and put it on a plate.
Now heat up a little more oil and add your onion. You want the onion to cook until it just begins to brown — 10 minutes or so, giving it a stir every so often. Now add your garlic and spices. Cook the mixture for just about a minute more, stirring and watching it closely to avoid burning.
Now add the black beans, tomato sauce, adobo sauce, and hot sauce.
Give the mixture a stir and bring it up to a simmer. Let it cook at a low simmer for five minutes or so, just to give the flavors a chance to mellow and the sauce a chance to thicken up.
Stir the tofu back into the mixture and let everything cook for just a minute or so more, until the tofu is nice and hot.
Fill some bowls with rice, then arrange your tofu mixture on top, along with some guac, salsa, cilantro and/or scallions. Feel free to add any other toppings you like!
These bowls are great for meal prepping! The only ingredient I don’t always recommend prepping in advance is the guamole, as it can turn brown during storage. You can either prep it the day of serving, or skip it (try subbing some cashew cream, fresh sliced avocado, or vegan queso).
All other components of the recipe can be prepped up to 4 days in advance and stored in sealed containers in the fridge.
Vegan Burrito Bowl Tips & FAQ
- Are these bowls gluten-free? They sure are!
- Not a fan of tofu? Leave it out and sub some extra black beans!
- Not a fan of black beans? Sub some extra tofu, or another variety of bean!
- Look for chipotle peppers in adobo sauce in the international foods section of your supermarket.
- Is this recipe spicy? The adobo sauce and hot sauce both add a bit of heat. You can cut back on the amounts for a milder version. If you leave out the adobo sauce, I recommend adding some smoked paprika for flavor.
- You’ll have some leftover chipotles and adobo sauce. Try using them in sandwiches, chili, or tacos. Or place them in a sealed container and freeze for later.
Spicy Tofu Vegan Burrito Bowls
These vegan burrito bowls are made with spicy tofu and black beans over a bed of rice. Top with with salsa and creamy guacamole for a delicious and easy dinner that’s perfect for meal prep!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
Calories 466 kcal
- 2 tablespoons canola oil (or high-heat oil of choice)
- 1 (14 ounce or 400 gram) package extra firm tofu, drained, pressed, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (14 ounce or 400 gram) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce (from a can of chipotle peppers), or to taste
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce, or to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 cups cooked rice
- Chopped fresh cilantro and/or scallions
Coat the bottom of a large skillet with 1 tablespoon of oil and place it over medium heat.
When the oil is hot, add the tofu in an even layer. Cook the tofu for about 10 minutes, flipping the pieces once or twice to achieve browning on multiple sides.
Remove the tofu from the skillet and transfer it to a plate.
Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the skillet, and give it a minute to heat up.
Add the onion to the skillet and allow it to cook, stirring occasionally, until it just begins to brown, about 10 minutes.
Stir in the garlic, cumin, and chili powder. Cook everything for about 1 minute more, stirring constantly to avoid burning.
Stir in the beans, tomato sauce, adobo sauce, and hot sauce.
Bring the mixture to a simmer and allow it to cook for 5 minutes, until thickened slightly.
Stir in the tofu, cook the mixture for about 1 minute more, then remove the skillet from heat.
Season the mixture with salt and pepper to taste, and adjust any other seasonings to your liking.
Divide the rice among 4 bowls, then top it with the tofu mixture, guacamole, salsa, cilantro and/or scallions.
Nutrition information includes rice and tofu/black bean mixture. I did not include guacamole and salsa because the nutrition will vary depending on how much you use.
Spicy Tofu Vegan Burrito Bowls
Amount Per Serving (1 bowl (1/4 of recipe))
Calories 466 Calories from Fat 116
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 1.5g8%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.