Creamy, classic potato soup goes dairy-free! This vegan potato soup is easy to make, totally meal-worthy, and super comforting. Perfect for dinner on a chilly night!
My mom’s potato soup was one of my favorite things when I was growing up! I went vegetarian pretty young and it was one of those meals that could be pretty easily tweaked to suit my diet: just replace the chicken broth with vegetable broth.
I recently got a craving for that soup and decided it was time to veganize it. Fortunately, that pretty easily done too, with just a few simple swaps!
Vegan Potato Soup Ingredients
This dairy-free soup is made with pretty simple ingredients that you might already have in your kitchen.
Vegan butter. This replaces the dairy butter in mom’s version. Look for brands like Earth Balance and Miyoko’s.
Veggies. Potato soup isn’t just about potatoes. This version is made with onions, celery and carrots.
Garlic. For a flavor punch.
Flour. This helps thicken up the soup.
Non-dairy milk. We’re using this instead of dairy milk, for a rich and creamy base. Just about anything unflavored and unsweetened will do. I used Silk cashew milk for this batch.
Vegetable broth. This adds some savory flavor to our base.
Herbs. Tyme, bay leaves and black pepper add depth of flavor to our potato soup.
White wine vinegar. For just a touch of tartness to balance out the flavors. Trust me, this makes the soup!
How to Make Vegan Potato Soup
Start by melting some vegan butter in a large pot. Now add your veggies and cook them up for about 10 minutes, until they begin to soften. Add the garlic and let it cook for just another minute, until very fragrant.
Now sprinkle in the flour, just a bit at a time. Stir the veggies to coat them with the flour, and continue cooking and stirring everything for about a minute.
Now you can add your broth. Pour in just a bit at a time, whisking frequently to break up any lumps that form from the flour. Add the milk, herbs, and potatoes. Bring everything up to a simmer and let it cook until the potatoes and veggies are tender, about 30 minutes.
Grab a bowl and dig in!
Vegan Potato Soup Tips & FAQ
- Leftovers of this soup keep great! Store them in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days. The soup may thicken up over time — add a bit more non-dairy milk when you reheat it if needed.
- Can this soup be made gluten-free? Probably, but I haven’t tested any gluten-free versions of the recipe. I think, based on reader comments on similar recipes, that you could replace the flour with an all-purpose gluten-free blend. But no promises. Please let me know how it turns out if you try it!
- Variations: try switching up the seasonings in your potato soup. Fresh chives and/or dill would be great instead of the thyme and bay leaf the recipe calls for (add fresh herbs when the soup has finished cooking). You could also add your favorite veggies or use red potatoes or gold potatoes instead of russets.
- Choose a non-dairy milk with a neutral flavor for this recipe. Some varieties end up tasting funky in savory recipes. Cashew or soy milk would both work well in this recipe.
- Want to try a vegan potato soup recipe with a twist? Try my green curry potato soup, dill pickle potato chowder, or vegan zuppa Toscana.
Classic Vegan Potato Soup
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
Calories 217 kcal
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 cup diced celery (about 3 stalks)
- 1 cup chopped carrots (about 3 carrots)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 1/2 cups unflavored non-dairy milk
- 1 3/4 pounds Russet potatoes (about 4 medium potatoes), scrubbed, peeled, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat.
Add the onion, celery, and carrot. Sweat the veggies until softened, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add the garlic to the pot and cook it for about 1 minute, until very fragrant.
Begin sprinkling the flour into the pot, a bit at a time, stirring between additions so the flour coats the veggies. Cook the veggies and flour for about a minute, stirring frequently.
Begin adding broth to the pot, a bit at a time, whisking each addition in to eliminate any lumps formed by the flour.
Once all the broth has been added, stir in the milk, potatoes, bay leaf and thyme.
Raise the heat and bring the liquid to a boil.
Lower the heat and allow the soup to simmer, stirring occasionally, until the base thickens a bit and the potatoes are tender, about 25 to 30 minutes.
Remove the pot from heat. Remove and discard the bay leaves. Stir in the vinegar and season the soup with salt and pepper to taste.
Ladle into bowls and serve.
Classic Vegan Potato Soup
Amount Per Serving (1.5 cups)
Calories 217 Calories from Fat 77
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 2.4g12%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.